Pets & Cattle – Experiments with Docker & Kubernetes
Fourth & Final Afternoon Session 4:00pm – Station 2
Presenter: Warren Strange
Notes: John Pinson
- Warren provides overview of Google Borg, Docker & Kubernetes container-style computing. He characterizes this as “virtualizing the data center.”
- FREDDES (sp?) ForgeRock on Kubernetes.
- Warren shows the virtual ForgeRock platform implementation on Stash.
- Kubernetes enables you to easily launch new nodes and multiple nodes, making it possible to rollback to existing nodes if new launches prove problematic.
- With Kubernetes, in virtualizing the data center, you can't assign things to particular disks. You would say “I need 500 gigs of resources at X time” and Kubernetes assigns you what you need.
- How to get secrets to specific nodes (secrets are, for instance, passwords).
- Warren: Kubernetes appears to be the most mature, most likely to succeed orchestration offering on the market. It’s backed by Google and Red Hat.