Blockchain & Identity
Speaker: Eve Maler
- tamper-evident ledger (linear) data structure
- autonomous nodes, distributed & possibly decentralized (no node with greater status than another node)
- math-based consensus for new ledger entries
Bitcoin is the most famous example of a blockchain. It has a node vulnerability - who owns the nodes?
What do we want the blockchain to incentivize?
- scripting ease?
Who can join in?
- Use IAM system to determine identity, authentication, authorization, & trust community
- the governance system needs rules & tools
What are the use cases?
- financial tech
- international payments
- company stock issuing
- smart contracts
- internet of things (IoT)
- do not store identity info on a blockchain
- bloat issues
- persistence issues
- privacy issues
- user control issues