1) Download the "SDK Tools Only” Mac OS X from here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html#Other
2) Unzip the folder, and move it somewhere appropriate (e.g. ~/Development/)
3) Run the android-sdk-macosx/tools/android file (this launches the SDK manager)
4) Using the SDK manager install:
Android SDK Tools
Android SDK Platform-tools
Android SDK Build-tools
Android 5.0.1 (API 21)
This will download the necessary files into the folder you just unzipped.
5) Now open IntelliJ, select create new project -> Android -> Application Module next, next until you reach this page page (without the Android API selected):
6) Select New.. and then select the folder you unzipped previously. IntelliJ should recognise that this folder contains the android SDK and allow you to select it as the current projects SDK as can be seen in the screenshot above.
1) Install Xcode -
2) Create a simple app and deploy it -
For a more detailed introduction to setting up your IDE for app development check out David Luna's blog entry here: http://ohnomorejuzzo.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/getting-started-with-intellij-mac-os-x.html